Sunday, January 29, 2012

"Change is a Part of Life. Sometimes it's Hard, Sometimes it's Beautiful. But Most of the Time, it's Both"

I love Sundays. This one in particular was extra awesome. To finish off the already fabulous weekend I had, I got to go to my sister-in-law's brother's mission farewell today. The talks I heard today, hands down, some of the best I've ever listened to. The speakers has such a knowledge and understanding of the gospel, it blew me away. Here are these kids, 16, 19, and...however old the other girl was, that had already come to the realization that the gospel is love. The gospel is service. The gospel is the only key to true happiness. And this 19 year-old boy, who by the way is one of the most musically talented individuals I've ever met, had thrown a benefit concert to raise money to make care packages to homeless people, and donated his coat and his scarf to those who needed them more. I really wish you all could have heard his story, because I know I'm not doing it justice, but I'll tell you, it was incredible.

Then, because according to my brother, "'Utah Mormons' only go to sacrament meeting," we all headed back to the in-laws for some lunch and talking and good bye saying. My brother, his wife, and I stayed til about 9. We joked around, laughed a lot, played some games, including paper telephone and Swedish twister, and I got a battle wound. . .

See, my brother thought it would be funny to push me when I came over with my cup of water, spilling it everywhere, and I thought it was a good idea to get him back. Wrong. So wrong. Water managed to spill on various places on the floor, my brother chased me, and being so graceful, I slipped on the wet tile. I went down hard. I'm pretty sure my butt is bruised. And yes, this was in front of his in-laws, their extended family, and at least 12 other strangers. Fortunately, things like this happen to me all the time, so rarely do I get embarrassed anymore. Ain't no thing.

Anyways, I guess today, I'm really just thankful for the little things in life like getting to spend time with family. Whether blood, or those kind enough to let you into their homes and lives and love you. I'm thankful for the Sales family, and how hospitable they have always been towards me. I'm thankful for the strong testimonies they all have, even when the youngest one gets up in sacrament and bares his testimony about Jimmer. Classic. I'm thankful that Mama and Papa Sales raised Malae into the kind of woman my brother could marry, who would be such an anchor for him and who would make him so happy. I'm thankful for the kind of compassionate, caring, loving young man Nick is that is so ready and willing and excited to serve the Lord and the people of Colombia. It's always something wonderful to see young men so eager and full of life and light, ready to share that with the world. Plus, he and I are in love...sometimes;)


I'm also thankful that I could spend the weekend with Angela, Rachel, Clayton, Malae, Jacob and Levi. We've been through a lot together. These are my oldest friends. What a wonderful family I have. I'm really glad we all got to spend time together for the last time for a long time. My cousin Levi is also getting ready to serve his mission in Colombia. He leaves in a couple months. He was my very first best friend.

My oldest sister Angela is leaving for Florida tomorrow morning to do the Disney College Program for the next 8 months. I'm really going to miss her. And even though I hope she finds her future husband there, and I know she'll have so much fun, selfishly, I wish she'd come back to Utah with Rachel and the three of us could be together and be the "rock star girls" forever.

And then who knows where this crazy world is going to take the rest of us? Everything is changing so much. Life is so wonderful. I love every single moment of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment